Monday, April 11, 2011

Stay On Your Guard

After a year and a half, I bet you figured you would not hear from me again (at least via this blog). It seems that every time I sat down to write something, life and work came up. Alas, it took something extremely burdensome to drive me back to the keyboard. Thus, here I am.

I can't say what the burden is. Let's just say I've become aware of a situation involving a friend, one that reminds me how vulnerable we all are to Satan's attack. He will stop at nothing to ruin your witness for him! This is especially true of pastors, missionaries, and their families.

It was no exaggeration when Peter wrote, "Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour," (I Pet. 5:8). Satan has an insatiable appetite! He seeks nothing less than to destroy you. And He doesn't mind attacking your family to do it.

So what can we do? Verse 8 offers great insight. First, be sober-minded. In other words, be real. Don't think too highly of your own abilities... your own spiritual strength. In 27 years of ministry I've seen some pretty accomplished men of God fall. If it can happen to them, it can happen to any of us.

Second, be watchful. Of what? Of any signs that the adversary has you in his cross hairs. Of any weakness in your relationship with the Lord. Of what's happening with your family. Of any refuge you can take to surround yourself with godly support.

I don't want to glorify the enemy. The One in us really is greater! But those who neglect the enemy and dismiss his assault often find themselves fodder for his voracious appetite.

So, stay on your guard!

Jim

No comments: