Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Update on Crownpoint Area and Nahodishgish

In a previous post I mentioned an area where God is opening the door for ministry, just west of Crownpoint. The community is Nahodishgish, in the Navajo Nation. God is moving there in such a way that the people are asking for a church.

I knew when I began this assignment that church planting would be a priority, but I was thinking of places where we saw the need. In most of these places, people aren’t lining up asking us to come in. But at Nahodishgish, this is what’s happening.

It began as I was following up with a family to whom I was introduced back in November. A relationship with them led to an invitation to a chapter meeting, where I sought approval to bring in a summer mission team. Well, when the people voted on my request they went far beyind granting approval. They asked if we could open the abandoned church building in the chapter. As is stands now, they intend on approaching the current leaseholder about reopening the church. If they cannot do it, then the people want the chapter to reclaim the property and make it available to our association.

Nothing is guaranteed yet, but God is clearly at work here. We will know more after the team's work this summer. Still, pray for this community. Pray that God would deliver this church building to us for a new church start. Pray also for Him to raise up someone to sheperd this new congregation in His name.

To His Glory!
Jim

No comments: