Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Joyful Simplicity


Last Sunday was a treat. Karen, the kids, and I shared worship with the Laguna-Acoma mission, just outside of Grants, New Mexico. What a joyful celebration of Christ it was! We even witnessed a young mother follow the Lord in Baptism.


While there, I was stuck by the simplicity of it all. Back where I come from, if your church doesn't have all the bells and whistles, then you can't reach anybody (at least that's what everyone says). Don't have a first class worship team singing the latest choruses? Forget it. No video projector and PowerPoint? How do you expect anyone to receive Christ without those? I can't tell you how many churches I've visited (and served as pastor) where this was the mindset.


Now, don't misunderstand. I believe in using all the tools available. It's just that sometimes we rely too much on the tools and miss how God really works.


So it was refreshing to see a people gathering together in a simple church, giving their best to the Lord in song, with a simple God-fearing pastor sharing the Word. It reminded me how God doesn't need all the gimmicks and gadgets; he simply needs a faithful people following Him in simple faith. What a joy it was.


To His Glory!

Bro. Jim

No comments: